585-271-5920 ext 2
Studio 678 Photo Club is in its 26th consecutive year, as a 34-session after-school program for students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades from the Rochester City School District. The program is free to the students because of the generosity of our many funders.
The six goals of Photo Club are to:
• Empower youth to express their vision and voice through photography and writing.
• Enable youth to build life skills such as self-confidence, perseverance, and problem-solving.
• Encourage youth to connect with the community via field trips to historical, cultural, college, urban/rural, and other settings.
• Enhance knowledge of core school subjects such as ratios when mixing chemistry and the use of fractions when cutting mats.
• Energize youth to work together in teams.
• Establish mentoring relationships with youth, over a 1 to 3-year period.
Students learn how to use a professional 35mm film camera, go on field trips in the community to take pictures, make their own black & white prints in the darkroom, write poems or stories to accompany their photographs, and create their own pages for the annual club book using Photoshop. Students also cut their own mats and frame a selection of their photographs for exhibition and second and third-year students complete special projects.
At the conclusion of the year, all of the program members have their photographs and writing displayed at The Link Gallery in City Hall with an opening reception and awards ceremony in City Council Chambers. A student-created movie featuring their photographs/spoken word set to music is shown, the finished book is released and club members are presented with certificates of achievement from community leaders. Over 200 parents, teachers, friends, funders, and community representatives are in attendance each year.
For more information, call 585-271-5920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite you to Like us on Facebook to keep up with our activities: facebook.com/Studio678FlowerCityArts
Want to support our program? Donate Here: